Vector Art for California Code of
The Rural Design Collective will be improving the public domain and the accessibility of a vital document set by creating SVG renditions of the illustrations used in the California Code of Regulations (CCR). There are several thousand images in the collection, including charts, diagrams, illustrations, maps, tables, forms and other content types. Production techniques and methodologies for all content types in this document set will be explored in this track. → Download this page as a PDF
Production Schedule – Last update 09/10/12
NOTE: NOTE: This schedule is a framework to keep #rdcHQ focused on learning and meeting deliverables. It is updated to reflect weekly progress each meetup.
– Vector Art Basics / Overview of Inkscape ( Group 1 – Basic Lines ) — Meetup Post: Basic Lines
– Vector Art Basics / Overview of Inkscape ( Group 2 + Group 10 = Interpolate ) — Meetup Post: Crosshatch and Grids
– Typographic Controls and Layers / Simple Schematics ( Group 3 – Diagrams I ) — Meetup Post: Working with Text
– Maintaining Visual Consistency (Group 9 – Textures AND Group 4 – Diagrams II ) — Meetup Post: Patterns and Blends
– Leveraging the Internet ( Group 4 – Diagrams II and Group 6 – Landscapes) — Meetup Post: Mid-Program Status Report
– Working with Paths and Blends Effectively ( Group 7 – Blends + Group 5 – Diagrams III ) — Meetup Post: Coding + Crosshatch
– Preparing Production Ready Art with Open Source Tools / Working with Auto-Trace ( Maps ) — Meetup Post: #rdcHQ SVG Update
– Working with Existing Art ( Group 8 – Perspective AND Group 5 – Diagrams III ) — Meetup Post: SVG Update – Diagrams III
– Rural Design Collective Launch Party and Labor Day Art Show – “beaux libre”
POST-PRODUCTION BEGINS – Document Generation / Post-processing of all document objects
#rdcHQ Useful Links
We’ll be collecting useful links for the SVG Team here throughout the course of the program:
Rural Design Collective – http://sixes.net/rdcHQ/ – Summary of week events posted weekly or more frequently as tracks progress – check our Skype channel for updates.
#rdcHQ Resource Library – http://sixes.net/rdcHQ/rdc-ui-lab/library/ - Our graphic libraries will be posted mid-program (July 9).
Inkscape Tutorials – http://inkscape.org/doc/ – See also http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/ for a general intro … #rdcHQ tutorials specific to our SVG Track are listed below.
- Strokes and Compound Paths — http://sixes.net/rdcHQ/inkscape-intro/
- Autosave, Duplicate and Move — http://sixes.net/rdcHQ/svg-meetup-0630/
- Typography 101 and Layers — http://sixes.net/rdcHQ/svg-meetup-and-news/
- Break Apart and Exclude — http://sixes.net/rdcHQ/svg-meetup/
- Interpolate and Tiled Clones — http://sixes.net/rdcHQ/patterns-and-tiles-and-blends/
- Working with Paths Effectively — http://sixes.net/rdcHQ/working-with-paths-effectively/